Textile Pattern designers have the liberty to work with different mediums to create their artwork and have a barrage of choices to display and sell their work. With the option of working with different industries within the textile pattern designing itself, the designers have abundant options to make money. Once a designer has established their niche, it is easy to determine what path would they like to take to make money. From online marketplaces to working at a firm, textile pattern designers can explore the following options to help them make money.
The textile industry includes apparel and home décor and a designer or artist can work with a firm from the respective industry as an in-house designer. With job security and definitive fixed income, this is a reliable option to make money. The only downside to working with a firm is that a designer doesn't have any ownership of the work they have created.
As an entrepreneur, one has the freedom to work on designs and patterns of their own choice. They also have the choice as to what value they can price their patterns. As a textile pattern designer who wishes to work as entrepreneurs have two product options that they can see –
Prints and Patterns- the designers have the choice to sell their textile prints and patterns directly to the seller or consumer on different platforms. The list below states the choices a textile pattern designer has as mediums to their work and make money –
- Trade Shows and Exhibitions – A well-curated trade show and exhibition can be a great way to start connecting and meet the right buyers in the industry of the designer's choice. Trade shows and exhibitions take place every few months and the designer can buy a stall to present their creations.
- Social Media Platforms – Creating a website and linking it to social media handles can enable the designers to make money visa selling to customers who have viewed their web presence. Popular social media platforms like Instagram and Facebook allows users to create business accounts where they can promote their brand and products to reach the right target audience. Starting from scratch can be difficult as it requires promotions and adequate resources to ensure the prints and patterns are seen to relevant buyers. This is a viable option to make money once the appropriate target audience is aware of the work of the designers.
- Online Marketplaces – With an established presence and defined customer base, an online market place is a feasible and practical way to reach new buyers across the globe. Ready Pattern is a well-founded market place that has been in the industry for over 40 years with loyal customers from all over the world. Helping the designers upload their designs at a zero-license fee, this market place is ideal for those who want to make money and gain recognition worldwide.
Products with Designs Printed – Printing the patterns on products and selling the finished goods is the other options that the designers can avail to if they prefer dealing with ready products. Similar to selling patterns and prints, designers can take part in exhibitions and trade shows that include finished goods and present their work on social media business accounts. The online market places for finished goods are different compared to the ones that sell print and patterns. The list below will guide you to 2 market places to sell finished products with the designer’s original patterns printed on it –
- Etsy – A mainstream marketplace that as a global reach is a brilliant platform to sell finish products and gives the designers to opportunity by introducing them to international buyers. Etsy charges the designer a commission fee per sale made on their webpage.
- Big Cartel – This market place is only for designers and artists and helps them display their talent to international buyers. Unlike Etsy, Big cartel charges a monthly listing fee for designers to display their patterns on their website but doesn’t levy any commission charges.
What to consider while pricing your textile patterns?
Pricing of textile designs should be in accordance with the method used to create the pattern, the pricing levied by contemporary designers and the licence applied to the design. With a non-exclusive license, a designer can sell the pattern infinite times and the price range of each design lies between 2$-79$. An exclusive licensed design can be sold only once and can be priced up to 999$.
How to acquire a globally acclaimed license for textile designs?
While uploading designs on a global platform the design must be licensed and not used by anyone without acknowledging and paying the designer. This painstaking process can be managed by Ready Pattern once a designer uploads the designs on their platform.
How to sell textile designs on an online marketplace?
Textile designs can be sold on various online marketplaces that allow the designer to showcase their work on a global scale. Ready Pattern is an internationally recognized online marketplace that helps designers license their patterns and promote them to existing customers. A designer can about 50 designs in one go on Ready Pattern at a zero-listing fee.